There are 2 ways of configuring email in Thunderbird. In fact, in any of the email clients.
We are going to see how to configure manual in this article. To manually configure the account you need to have few details from your
Email provider e.g. if you are having gmail account ( xyz…@gmail.com) you need to have below details
a)Incoming mail server and port number
- b) outgoing mail server and port
- c) security setting to connect with the server ( SSL/TLS etc)
you can get all these settings from the email provider you are using. I am using my gmail account, It can be found from here.
When you have all these information. Select Tools–>Account Settings. Click the Account Actions and select Add Mail Account.
After that window will appear, where you have to enter your name, email address and password. You need to hit Continue button after that.
Thunderbird will try to determine automatically for you but because we are trying manually, click on Stop button. You need to set your server names, port and IMAP/POP and the press Manual Configuration.
Next, you need to configure the Outgoing Server. Enter your server details i.e. description, server name, Port etc.
For me I filled as below
- Server Name: smtp.gmail.com
- Port: 587
- Use name and Password: checked
- User Name: gmail userid without “@gmail.com” extension (for example, if you email address is [email protected], then your user name is “brian”).
- Connection Security: STARTTLS
After filling this, select your new email account from the list. You are now ready to send/receive emails now.